The world's best -- and most recognizable -- action camera gets an upgrade with the release of the GoPro Hero 11 Black.
Bigger sensor, better colors, better stabilization, and the widest, most expansive field of view ever found natively in a Hero camera -- all built into a durable, lightweight package.
GoPro has released three new cameras in the Hero 11 Black line today:
- Hero 11 Black: The base model action camera.
- Hero 11 Black Creator Edition: Adds a battery grip with built-in buttons for one-handed camera control capable of over four hours of 4K recording per charge. Also includes an optional directional microphone, external mic input, HDMI port for connecting to external displays, a high-output LED light and two cold shoe mounts for mounting additional accessories.
- Hero 11 Black Mini: A smaller, lighter, simpler version of Hero 11 Black.
Here I'm going to focus on the Hero 11 Black, because that was the camera sent to me for testing.
GoPro Hero 11 Black tech specs
- Max video resolution: 5.3K60 / 4K120
- Aspect ratio: (16:9) (4:3) (8:7)
- Digital lenses: HYPERVIEW, SUPERVIEW, WIDE,LINEAR, LINEAR+HORIZON LOCK
- Video stabilization: HYPERSMOOTH 5.0
- Video file format: H.265 (HEVC)
- Max video bitrate: Up to 120Mbps
- Photo resolution: 27-megapixels
- Weight: 153g
- Battery: 1720mAh Enduro Li-ion battery
- Max battery video runtime:137 minutes shooting 1080p at 30fps
- Waterproof: To 33ft/10m
Bigger, better sensor
The bigger 1/1.9-inch sensor is a huge upgrade, not only capturing more light but also more colors (over a billion), with 10-bit color capturing 64 times the amount of colors that the previous 8-bit color GoPros could manage.
This means being able to capture more vivid and easier-to-process photos and videos no matter what the conditions.
The bigger sensor means the camera can capture more light, which, for people like myself who shoot in low-light or nighttime conditions (and for those who shoot underwater), means much better shots straight out of the camera.
Combine this with the new Star Trails feature built into the Hero 11 Black, and it opens up some amazing new possibilities.
It also does an amazing job when there's a bright moon in the sky. Capturing stars when pointed at a full moon is hard, but the Hero 11 Black managed it no problem.
It even captured the formation of wispy clouds.
This is amazing performance for such a small camera, and something that's actually quite tricky to do with a modern mirrorless camera costing several times what the Hero 11 Black costs.
And with the Hero 11 Black it was literally a case of set up the shot, choose the Star Trails setting, and pressing the button to start shooting.
The sensor inside the Hero 11 Black can capture video in an almost square 8:7 aspect ratio, which gives it the the largest vertical field of view of any GoPro so far. This allows the camera to simultaneously capture extra-tall 9:16 vertical video for Instagram or TikTok and high-resolution 16:9 video for YouTube.
All from a single capture.
As for durability, the Hero 11 Black is just as rugged and waterproof as previous editions, and doesn't mind being left out overnight in the rain and dew, and dropped onto the floor and shook about when attached to vehicles.
And just in case you break the protective cover over the lens, this is removable just like the lens on the Hero 10 Black.
Another feature of the Hero 11 Black that I like is the inclusion of the Enduro Li-ion batteries in the box.
These 1720mAh lithium-ion batteries not only boost the camera's runtime by up to 40% and offer up to 13% faster charging, but also improves cold-weather performance in temperatures down to 14°F (-10°C), and oPro.
These are batteries that should have been included with the Hero 10 Black, so it's nice to see them included as standard now with this new camera.
Here are the battery runtimes for the Hero 11 Black with the Enduro battery compared to the Hero 10 Black with the standard battery:
- 5.3K30: 80 minutes for Hero 11 Black vs. 73 minutes for Hero 10 Black
- 4K120: 54 minutes for Hero 11 Black vs. 39 minutes for Hero 10 Black
- 4K60: 70 minutes for Hero 11 Black vs. 57 minutes for Hero 10 Black
- 4K30: 88 minutes for Hero 11 Black vs. 77 minutes for Hero 10 Black
- 2.7K60: 83 minutes for Hero 11 Black vs. 67 minutes for Hero 10 Black
- 1080p60: 89 minutes for Hero 11 Black vs. 80 minutes for Hero 10 Black
- 1080p30: 137 minutes for Hero 11 Black vs. 123 minutes for Hero 10 Black
Recharge time for the battery is approximately 3 hours.
In the box with the Hero 11 Black are all the standard mounts and bits and bobs that you'd expect to come with a GoPro (there's even a cloth bag to carry it in), as well as a 32GB microSD storage card.
Everything you need to get going and start capturing photos and video.
On the bottom on the GoPro are two flip-out mounts (same as found on the Hero 10 Black) that allow you to attach the GoPro to a myriad of accessories
It also comes with Gumby.
What is Gumby?
It's a clamp with twisty-tie arms for allowing it to be lashed onto objects.
I've used the Gumby for lashing the camera to a variety of objects and found it super useful for a wide range of applications, far more so than the tiny tripod that was included with earlier GoPros.
Visually, no change
Physically, the Hero 11 Black is identical to the Hero 10 Black. This means that cases and other accessories for the earlier model will still work. Also the identical button and screen layout means that there's no having to relearn where everything is located.
When it comes to controlling the GoPro, it's the setup that existing GoPro owners will be familiar with. There's an on/off/mode button on the side, a shutter button on the top, and a touchscreen LED on the back. There's also a smaller LCD display on the front that makes vlogging and selfies easier.
The touchscreen LCD on the rear now offers two different modes:
- Easy Controls: These offer the simplicity of point-and-shoot and let the Hero 11 Black make all the decisions when it comes to what settings to use
- Pro Controls: Full access to all the features and settings that the Hero 11 Black has to offer
You can easy toggle between the two settings depending on your experience level and how much control you want to have over the GoPro.
This ability to switch between a simplified layout and having full control means that you can pick and choose when you want to camera to make the technical decisions, and when you want to take the helm and control everything.
It also means that you don't need to spend hours reading the manual and experimenting to get good shots. Use the Easy Controls and start taking shots as soon as the battery is charged up!
The GoPro Hero 11 Black is available today at $399.98 for GoPro Subscribers (regular price $499.99).The GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition is for $579.98 for GoPro Subscribers (regular price $699.99).
The GoPro Hero 11 Black Mini will be available October 25 for $299.98 for GoPro Subscribers (regular price $399.99 MSRP).
- iPhone 13 Mini lives! The case for buying it in 2022
- I switched to a 16:18 monitor. Here's why you should, too
- Apple Watch 8 is a sleeper hit, even if it doesn't match Samsung's sensors
- I put the Apple Watch Ultra through a Tough Mudder: Here's how it held up
- The Urtopia Carbon E-Bike is a work of art that you can ride
We are GoPro — we love what we do!
Best GoPro Camera
The HERO10 also marked a big improvement in frame rates, offering 5.3k 60 fps and 4k 120 fps video for the first time, making it extremely versatile for capturing everything from smooth, fast action to slow-motion in a variety of resolutions.
4. GoPro Hero 8 Black: The best budget GoPro.
Bigger, Better Battery
In its highest resolution video (5.3K), the new GoPro can shoot for up to 80 minutes on a charge, and at 1080P it'll run more than two hours.
GoPro. Disney maintains a massive venture capital arm called Steamboat Ventures, named in homage to the venerable "Steamboat Willie" character that introduced Mickey Mouse to the masses. One of the 30 companies it invested in is GoPro, which is famous for its body-mounted action cameras.
HERO (2018), HERO6 Black, HERO5 Black:
The HERO (2018), HERO6 Black and HERO5 Black are waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without a housing; just ensure that all camera doors are closed prior to exposing the camera to liquid.
GoPros were initially designed for taking video. Though they can also take still photos, their quality isn't comparable to the photos you can take with a DSLR. They're closer in quality to shots you could take with a top-end phone camera.
GoPro cameras are very versatile and powerful. Aside from being great photography equipment, there are so many other things you can do with these products if you only think outside the box. Though it has a premium price tag, many would still consider it as worth the investment.
- GoPro Hero11 Black. The TikTok-ready action cam adds simplicity, and a new 8:7 sensor. ...
- GoPro Hero10 Black. The most advanced GoPro camera there is offers 5.3K video recording and exceptional stabilization. ...
- GoPro Hero9 Black. ...
- GoPro Max. ...
- GoPro Hero 8 Black. ...
- GoPro Hero7 Black. ...
- GoPro Hero10 Black Bones.
Here's a benchmark of what to expect out of your GoPro battery: GoPro HERO10 (with the new Enduro Battery)—120 minutes (1080p / 30fps) GoPro HERO10—83 minutes (HyperSmooth High) GoPro HERO9—97 minutes (HyperSmooth High)
A Quick Look at My Favorite Action Cameras With Long Battery Life.
|Product||Drift Innovation Ghost XL|
|Price||Check Price On Amazon|
- Best GoPro Alternative. DJI Osmo Action. SEE PRICE. Amazon.com. Searching. ...
- Best Budget GoPro Alternative. AKASO Brave 7 LE. SEE PRICE. Amazon.com. ...
- Best Cheap GoPro Alternative. AKASO V50X. SEE PRICE. Amazon.com. ...
- Best Handheld GoPro Alternative. DJI Pocket 2. SEE PRICE. Amazon.com.
Leaving the wifi on is the most common reason for battery drain even with the power off. Even if the camera is powered off, leaving the wifi on will gradually suck power as the system regularly polls for a signal. Make sure that you don't have the blue flashing light showing that the wifi is on.
A GoPro can't record for 24 hours non-stop. It will either run out of battery power or storage space. Most GoPros last about 2 hours at 1080p, and even at lower resolutions and frame rate, a GoPro won't last more than 4 hours. Newer models, however, can record while plugged in.
GoPros can record while being plugged in. They do this by pulling power directly from the power source instead of the battery. Keep in mind that the battery will not keep charging during this time.
'Be a HERO' came out of the name of our first product, the HERO Camera. The idea was that our camera could help you capture photos (and eventually video) that made you look like a HERO. Be a HERO similarly inspires you to do your best at what ever you do.
The first box (from the left) refers to land-based extreme sports ‒ motocross, downhill and cross-country biking. Its color symbolizes the sky. The second box represents surf. The third one stands for underwater activities.
GoPro promotes itself as being carefree and its vision is to enable the expression of human passion. The company also conveys a spirited attitude through its tagline: Be a HERO.
What's the reason behind GoPro's success? One of the main reasons behind GoPro's success is that their products offer users the chance to let others see their experiences at the height of the action from their point of view.